"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." - Confucius or Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. I am now a "Community Manager". Perfectly aligns with the strongest part of my social media skill set.
9. Even though my commute technically got longer, it still takes less than 10 minutes to get to work in the morning.
8. I get my own office! With a placard outside that has my name on it!
7. I'm making 14% more per year than I was 3 days ago.
6. I am now a UC employee (read: employee of the state) with all the benefits thereof.
5. I am working for/with a Pulitzer Prize winner!
4. I accrue vacation days at a rate of 10 hours/month (15 days/year) and sick days at a rate of 8 hours/month (12 days/year).
3. I'll get Dec. 23-Jan. 2 off & all federal holidays are paid time off as well.
2. I get to collaborate with some of the smartest people on the planet.
Aaaaand, the #1 reason why I love my new job is:
1. I feel like I'm going to make a difference in the world.
Check out the cool stuff this Research Hub gets involved with:
YouMedia - changing the way teens use libraries
DML Competition: awarding $2 million annually to app developers who inspire the most novel uses of new media in support of learning.
Quest To Learn: School for Digital Kids (slideshow overview)